The Congregation of the Immaculate Conception, Madurai had its beginning at Panjampatty, a village in Dindigul District, in late 19th century. The first 7 sisters of Our Congregation entered the Noviciate on 2 July 1911. On 19 Jan 1993 the Congregation was raised to Pontifical Right by His Holiness Saint Pope John Paul II. In the Chapter held in 1997 the three Regions of the Congregation were promoted to three Provinces, namely, Madurai, Sivagangai, and Palayamkottai.
The Madurai Province saw its light on 25 April 1997 with its headquarters at Virahanur. It heads towards the vision “to build up the broken humanity.”