The Congregation of the Immaculate Conception, Madurai had its beginning at Panjampatty, a village in Dindigul District, in the late 19th century. The first Seven sisters of Our Congregation entered the Noviciate on 2nd July 1911. On 19 Jan 1993 the Congregation was raised to Pontifical Right by Saint John Paul II, the then Pope. In the Chapter held in 1997 the three Regions of the Congregation were elevated to three Provinces, namely, Madurai, Sivagangai, and Palayamkottai.
The Sivagangai Province saw its light on 25 March 1997 with its headquarters at Sivagangai. It heads towards the vision “To be in relationship with those deprived of their human rights especially the women.”